Monday, April 2, 2012

HAWMC#3: Superpower Day



Today is day three and my writing prompt is:  Superpower Day.  What would it be and how would you use it?

I thought about this for a long time, I could have some fun with this.  But what kept coming back to me is...January 4, 2012 is the day I had to increase my Supermompowers.  January 4th is the day that we found out our sons body needed US to stand in for his pancreas.  It was that day that we were reminded what an incredible creation God has given us.  How perfect it is and how hard it is to recreate perfection.  I am "perfect pancreas" who struggles to achieve perfection.

What we have learned with D...is that we can do the same exact thing on two days and get two completely different results.  We have learned there is no rhyme or reason to what Seth's blood sugars do and it is hard for us to predict, though we keep on trying.  For example:

A couple of days ago Seth tested right before dinner and he was 347.  We gave him 4 units to correct 1 unit for every 50 he is over 150.  He was also going to have a 60 carb dinner.  Seth's carb ratio is 1:15, so we gave him 4 units for that.  A total of 8 units of insulin was administered.

2 hours later we tested and he was 187, he was coming down nicely, so I sent him to bed.  20 minutes later, Seth came down and said he felt low.  I suspected he was stalling on bed time, but he had rings under his eyes, one of his low signs, so I had him test.  He was 59...crap.  We gave him 15grams of carbs, which should have brought him up 50 points or so, and tested 30 minutes later...299...what the heck?!

We remind Seth to test 8-10 times a day.  We remind him to inject and figure out how much he needs to cover each time he eats.  We remind him to inject his long acting insulin before he goes to bed.  We carry a diabetes kit, as well as a back up kit with: meter, insulin and pen needle everywhere we go...cause sometimes the boy forgets his kit.  We go to the doctor once a month right now while Seth's needs fluctuate so much.  I carry my cell phone with me at all times so I can answer any questions the nurse may have or stand in  for the nurse if she is off for the day and principal from my sons school calls me to provide care for my son that day.  I get up at 3 am every day and check my sons blood to make sure he doesn't go to low in his sleep.  I have become the queen of diabetes out of necessity so that I can make my sons life as normal as possible.  It's a new normal, but we strive to make every day the most normal that we can.  That is my true superpower.  I think most mom's have it, they just don't realize it.

1 comment: